The Unblinking Eye
|News and Events||NPCs of Note||Places||Rules|
Often considered the most classic of psychic powers, Psyche is often also known as telepathy, the power to connect two different minds and affect minds. Because a psychic who follows this path can do more than just speak mind to mind, the path is not known among psychics as Telepathy, but rather Psyche. Simultaneously the most feared and sought-after power, Psyche is what people think of when they think about psychics. This path requires a powerful mind to be able to deal with all of the pure-mental manipulations of mystic energy.
- Attribute: Intelligence
- Intuit: The first level of Psyche grants access to the mind of another in a superficial way. The psychic can choose to read the target’s current emotional state, or surface thoughts, though the latter is more difficult than the former. He can also project a short phrase or an emotion to a target within line of sight. The target will feel the emotion or ‘hear’ the phrase and recognize it as external to them. If they know who sent the message they will feel the connection to the psychic and understand the emotion or phrase as if they had empathized with the psychic. Otherwise they will simply know that ‘someone’ wanted to communicate something or feels a particular way.
- The roll resisted by the target’s Composure.
- Successes increase the psychic’s options. A minimal 1 success roll only allows sensing the emotions of others. 2 successes allow the psychic to either send an emotion to the target or read his surface thoughts. With 3 successes the psychic gets access to all the power’s options.
- Any successes in addition to what is required for the psychic’s purpose can be converted to additional rounds of power use. So a psychic that gets 3 successes but just wants to sense emotions can sense those emotions for 3 rounds running.
- Spending Wyrd points increases duration. The first Wyrd point upgrades the power’s duration scale to 1 minute instead of 1 round, so additional successes add minutes. Each additional Wyrd point adds 3 minutes of duration.
- Mindspeech: True mental communication is now possible for the psychic. The range and duration of the power also extends somewhat. This power offers very little control over a target, but non-psychics also find it hard to resist, and a clever psychic doesn’t have to control someone to gain advantage from knowing their thoughts. The psychic connection created by this power is strong enough that it is unmistakable to even the most dull peasant.
When this power is learned, Intuit becomes a ‘subtle’ power. If the target has no reason to suspect that the power is being used on them, and no way to sense mystic phenomena, they remain ignorant of its use.
- This power is resisted by the target’s Resolve or Psi. The duration is one scene.
- As with Intuit, successes are required to use all of the power’s abilities effectively.
- 1 success allows simple, consensual mental communication.
- 2 successes allows the psychic to ‘listen in’ on the target’s thought process regardless of the target’s wishes.
- 3+ successes are required to have multiple people in the link. 4 people can be supported at 3 successes, 7 at 4 successes, and 12 at 5 successes.
- The power can be used on targets out of line of sight, as long as the psychic knows exactly where they are. So someone who has just gone through a door or around a corner can be contacted, but not someone who the psychic knows is “somewhere in his bedroom suite”.
- When contacting targets out of sight, the Psychic is limited to a radius of 1 mile per point of his Psi attribute.
- Wyrd spent on this power can add duration at the rate of 1 scene per Wyrd point. It can also increase the range of the power but the cost is great. Every 3 points of Wyrd spent double the current radius of the power.
- Heart’s Command: The psychic can now attain limited control over his targets. Emotional control is easiest, but automatic reactions are also somewhat easy to control. This power can’t provide ‘true’ mind control but it can certainly push a weak willed person in the direction the psychic desires.
When this power is learned, Mindspeech is upgraded to be able to pull information from the target’s mind, even if the target isn’t thinking about it. Memories can be explored in detail, though they are often confusing and murky.
- Heart’s command is resisted by the target’s Composure or Psi.
- Each success is one round of duration for the power. Additional rounds can be purchased at the cost of 1 Wyrd per round.
- The target can be forced to experience any emotion the psychic wants, and automatic reactions like flinching away from an imagined pain can easily be forced. The Psychic can spend 2 Wyrd to force the character to make an awkward, jerky motion or movement of his choice for 1 turn.
- When using Mindspeech to delve into memories, the Psychic spends 1 Wyrd and his roll is contested by a Resolve + Composure roll from the victim.
- If the Psychic wins the contest, he can experience 1 of the target’s memories per net success.
- If the target wins, the Psychic loses an additional point of Wyrd. If the Psychic runs out of Wyrd, the connection breaks.
- Psychic Torment: The psychic lashes out at the target with pure psychic energy, ripping through their mind and soul. This power conjures up images of actual torment in the subject’s mind, though the psychic need not detail the kind of torment to be imagined, indeed, it is often more effective if left to the target’s imagination. The damage inflicted is not physical, but can lead to death all the same. Without the mind or spirit, the body cannot survive.
- Psychic Torment is resisted by the subject’s Composure or Psi.
- This power inflicts damage equal to the number of successes gained. In addition, it inflicts damage equal tot he Psychic’s Psi on any successful roll.
- For the cost of 1 Wyrd, the psychic can increase the damage bonus to double his Wyrd. This forces a roll to resist gaining Urge.
- Psychic Torment counts as 2 power uses as far as risking Urge for using many powers in one scene.
- Heart’s Command Can now stun the target with an overwhelming wave of emotion at the cost of 2 Wyrd. Duration of the power is halved, but the stun lasts the entire time.
- Psychic Torment is resisted by the subject’s Composure or Psi.
- Headshackle: Psychic domination over the mind of another.
- Mindspeech can be made Subtle by the expenditure of Wyrd.